Replacing Lost or Damaged Items

Document Replacement

The New Jersey Bureau of Vital Statistics can help you replace lost marriage, birth and death certificates. For more information, call 609.292.4087 or visit their websiteTo contact by mail:

New Jersey Department of Health and Senior Services
Bureau of Vital Statistics and Registration
P.O. Box 360
Trenton, NJ 08625-0360

For Express Shipping - download application off the internet and mail to:

New Jersey Bureau of Vital Statistics and Registration
Attn: Customer Service Unit
H & A Bldg, 5th Floor
Warren and Market Streets
Trenton, NJ 08625
For applications received after 4 p.m., records will be mailed the next business day.

Find a local registrar in your county.

New Jersey Drivers License or ID
Storm victims who wish to obtain a New Jersey Driver's License or ID will be required to meet the New Jersey documentation requirements. Visit the DMV website to download forms for new registration or driver's license.

New or Replacement Social Security Card
Anyone receiving Social Security payments that have been interrupted can go to any Social Security office to get an emergency payment. For information about changing mailing addresses, obtaining a new card, direct deposit, or locating the nearest Social Security office, call 800.772.1213 (TTY 800.325.0778) from 7 a.m. - 7 p.m./ Monday through Friday or go online.

Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI)
Storm victims who already receive SSI and SSDI should contact the Social Security Administration directly at 800.772.1213 to learn how checks may be reissued, cards replaced or to report a change in address.

Preserving Wet Documents
To preserve family treasures, review the information found at the National Archives website.

Page last modified/reviewed on April 18, 2016

If you know of additional resources that would be appropriate to include in this section, please let us know by contacting us via e-mail at

back to top