NJ 2-1-1 is committed to helping our communities impacted by the federal government shutdown. Furloughed federal employees and government contractors in need of social services and individuals with questions about the availability of public benefits can call 2-1-1 to get help.
Our 2-1-1 specialists can help those in need connect to food pantries, health care services, and utility and eviction prevention assistance. Callers also can receive information on mental health counseling, transportation, job training, substance use recovery services, child care, and volunteer opportunities.
Additional information about unemployment benefits for furloughed employees is available from OPM (The US Office of Personnel Management).
2-1-1 is a free, confidential referral and information service that connects people in New Jersey to a specialist who can help find local health and human services, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Find out more information about the Effects of a Government Shutdown.
SNAP Early Payment
Due to the federal government shutdown, all SNAP recipients will be receiving their February benefits early. Approximately 730,000 people in NJ depend on the critical assistance of the SNAP (food stamps) benefit. As it stands now, the February SNAP benefits will be paid on Thursday, January 17, 2019. These are the benefits for the entire month of February so individuals and families should budget with this in mind. Find out more information about this early payment by viewing the flyer in English and in Spanish.
FAQs regarding a government shutdown
A government shutdown brings a lot of unanswered questions and concerns for everyone, especially those who are directly affected by this shutdown. This Government Shutdown Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) guide provides answers to some of the most anticipated questions regarding the current government shutdown.
Furloughed federal employees in New Jersey may be eligible to apply for unemployment benefits. Find more about unemployment eligibility. Visit this website to initiate a New Jersey Unemployment Claim.
NJ Coast Guard Members (Cape May County)
The following assistance is available for members of the Coast Guard stationed in Cape May County and their families:
- Cape May County Social Services Division is available to assist with applying for SNAP and Work First New Jersey benefits
- AC Iron Room and C-View Inn in Cape May County are offering free and discounted food for members of the Coast Guard and their families.
- Navy Federal Credit Union is offering a one-time, zero percent loan to members of the financial institution who are federal government employees, or active duty members of the Coast Guard.
- OceanFirst Bank is assisting families affected by the shutdown with the Mortgage Relief Program to assist borrowers whose income is affected by the shutdown and having trouble paying their mortgages. The bank will suspend mortgage and home equity loan payments for up to 90 days, without adding on additional fees and interest.
- Atlantic City Electric (ACE) is working with local, state, and federal agencies to provide programs for people who need financial assistance, including those who are impacted by the shutdown.
New Jersey Assistance Programs
- Middlesex County College is providing payment deferment if a student or a dependent whose parent is a federal government employee or a contractor.
National Assistance Programs
- USAA Federal Savings Bank is offering a special government shutdown loan program to support eligible members who serve in the Coast Guard, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Corps, or the Public Health Service Corps. Call 210.531.8722 for additional information and assistance.
- Bank of America's Client Assistance Program is offering personalized financial assistance. Call 844.219.0690 for more information.
- Wells Fargo Bank will work with individuals and business banking customers whose income is disrupted as a result of the shutdown. Customers should call 800.869.3557 for assistance.
- Quicken Loans is waiving all late fees for clients who may miss a mortgage payment due to the shutdown. Call 800.508.0944 for more information or assistance.
- US Employees Credit Union: Impacted union members who have direct deposit of their government pay may be eligible for interest-free loans.
- AT & T, Sprint, T-Mobile, and Verizon are offering flexible payment options for federal employees impacted by the government shutdown.
Federal Employees http://www.opm.gov/furlough/