With a little training, you may be able to become a VITA volunteer. Training to become a VITA volunteer begins prior to the tax season. Once you are trained you'll be able to help low-to-moderate income taxpayers in local communities keep more of the money they have earned by helping them to file tax returns that take advantage of the Earned Income Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit and Tax Credit for the Elderly. The EITC is particularly important - it is one of the largest anti-poverty tools in the country, but thousands miss out on it every year because they don't know it exists.
Find out more information about volunteer roles regarding tax assistance.
VITA/TCE VOLUNTEERS help those who need tax assistance the most:
- Hard working people who earn a low or moderate income
- People with a disability
- Those with limited English proficiency
- Elderly citizens
As a Volunteer
As a VITA/TCE VOLUNTEER you will receive:
- Free IRS training and material - tax law and electronic software that is used for filing (A lifetime skill)
- The personal satisfaction that comes from helping people in your community who need your assistance with their tax return
- Opportunities to provide meaningful assistance to others locally with convenient day, evening and weekend hours to fit your schedule
- A Certificate of Recognition and Letter of Appreciation from the IRS upon completion of the required training and volunteer hours for volunteering in your community
- Technical assistance from the IRS to help you prepare accurate tax returns
Attend training sessions and become a certified VITA volunteer by passing an online test of the tax knowledge you have gained. Once you've received your certification you'll be qualified to assist at a local VITA site near you. Volunteers help out for a minimum of 40 hours from late January through mid-April, assisting hard-working citizens to benefit from the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) program that was created to put money back into the hands of workers earning a low or moderate income.
Become a United Way VITA Volunteer
Many of the United Ways of New Jersey offer volunteer opportunities for the VITA/Free Tax Assistance Program. The locations listed below are locations that participate in this volunteer opportunity. For more information, please contact the individual United Way location.
- United Way of Bloomfield
98 Broad Street, 2nd Floor
Bloomfield, NJ 07003
- United Way of Central Jersey
32 Ford Avenue
Milltown, NJ 08850
732.247.3727 ext. 216
- United Way of Greater Mercer County
3150 Brunswick Pike, Suite 230
Lawrenceville, NJ 08648
- United Way of Hunterdon County
4 Walter Foran Blvd, Suite 401
Flemington, NJ 08822
- United Way of Passaic County
301 Main Street
Paterson, NJ 07505