Code Blue notifications and resources opened in response to severe cold or storm events change as quickly as the weather. This listing reflects information most recently received but you should always call ahead to confirm that the locations noted are still available. If there are no records listed below, the county has not identified any warming centers. Please contact your local Office of Emergency Management (OEM) for more information.
ACTIVE CODE BLUE ALERTS
- Burlington County: A Code Blue has been activated for Burlington County from January 14 through 8:00am on January 17, 2019.
- Middlesex County: A Code Blue has been activated for Middlesex County from January 14 through January 16, 2019.
- Morris County: A Code Blue has been activated for Morris County on January 15, 2019.
- Ocean County: A Code Blue has been issued for Ocean County from 5:30pm January 14 through 9:00am on January 17, 2019.
- Passaic County: A Code Blue has been activated for Passaic County from 5:00pm on January 10 until further notice.
- Union County: A Code Blue has been activated for Union County from January 14 through January 16, 2019.
How Code Blue Works
When temperatures drop below freezing, and conditions pose a threat to individuals who are homeless or medically fragile, a network of agencies throughout New Jersey helps people obtain shelter, food, and clothing. During times such as these, county or municipal government will often initiate a Code Blue Alert which enables authorities to take homeless adults to shelter programs that have agreed to make additional beds available. Warming Centers are also opened during stated hours to provide residents with a place that they can go to warm up and escape the harsh weather conditions.
County Offices of Emergency Management together with county government will communicate Code Blue Alerts and the opening of Warming Centers through local media and social media outlets. Often this information is also posted on municipal and county websites. Additionally, many counties have started sharing this information with NJ 2-1-1. As we hear of locations that are available when a Code Blue Alert is activated, the information will be made available here. In addition to the specified warming center locations, public libraries, shopping centers, and senior activity centers are also available for individuals to use as a warming center during operating hours. This information is also available below.
A Homeless Hotline for each county is also provided as a resource for assistance for those who are homeless. Homeless Hotlines should be used for 24/7 assistance in locating shelter and relief from the extreme weather conditions. To find additional resources (beyond what is noted below) in your area, search our resource database (in the search bar at the top of this page) using the search term: emergency shelter. To get further details on a county’s homeless hotline and shelter, search using the term: emergency shelter clearinghouses.