File Taxes Free at Local Tax Assistance Sites

Free assistance in the preparation of federal and state Income Tax Returns (using the simple tax form) is available for taxpayers of every age at local VITA sites (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) and AARP sites. At these sites, individuals of low-to-moderate income, individuals with disabilities, and non-English speaking taxpayers can find direct assistance in filing their returns. 


Do not give your social security number to anyone in response to an email or phone call you receive. The IRS will never call you at home and ask you for your social security number and they will not email you for information of that kind either. These calls and emails are coming from criminals who are hoping to steal your money or your identity. Learn more about phishing schemes and phone scams.

List of Documents Needed for Appointments

  • Proof of identification (photo ID)
  • Social Security Cards for you, your spouse and dependents and/or Social Security Number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration
  • An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter may be substituted for you, your spouse and your dependents if you do not have a Social Security Number
  • Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN (if applicable)
  • Birthdates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
  • Wage and earning statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, 1099-Misc) from all employers
  • Interest and dividend statements (Forms 1099)
  • All Forms 1095, Health Insurance Statements
  • Health Insurance Exemption Certificate, if received 
  • Forms 1095-A, B or C, Affordable Health Coverage Statements
  • A copy of last year's Federal and State tax returns, if available
  • Proof of your bank account routing numbers and account numbers for Direct Deposit such as a blank check
  • Total paid for daycare provider and daycare provider's tax identifying number (the provider's Social Security Number or the provider's business Employer Identification Number)
  • Property tax bills and/or the amount of rent you have paid during the tax year
  • Amount of unreimbursed medical expenses
  • A list of contributions or donations you made during the tax year
  • NJ Property Tax Rebate Forms PTR-1 or PTR-2
  • Any other forms you have received that reflect your income or expenses during the tax year

Please Note: To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-join tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms. 

Updated: 1.11.18

Find a VITA Site Near You

Our Free Tax Assistance site listing is created at the beginning of every new year and updated often as new site information becomes available. Check back often to see a current list of local sites where you can find assistance filing your taxes and accessing funds through state and federal EITC programs.