Monday, February 4, 2019 9am - Friday, February 8, 2019 at 5pm
The Housing Choice Voucher Program is a federally-funded program that was created to assist low-income households find decent, safe and sanitary rental housing. Through this program, a portion of the monthly rent is paid by the government directly to the landlord, thus reducing housing costs for eligible families. You can only submit your pre-application to the waiting list for this program when the waiting list is open. Now is the time!
A new statewide waiting list open enrollment period will be held from Monday, February 4, 2019 at 9am through Friday, February 8, 2019 at 5pm. No applications will be accepted after 5pm on Friday, February 8, 2019.
Things You Should Know
- Pre-applications can only be submitted online.
- All pre-applications submitted on-line for housing assistance will be accepted through a lottery process. It does not matter when you submit your pre-application as long as you do it during the open enrollment period. Every application submitted during the open enrollment period has a chance of being selected during the lottery.
- 15,000 pre-applications that are selected through the lottery will be placed on the waiting list.
- To be eligible, your total household income cannot exceed the limits shown on the income chart for the county in which you are applying. Be sure to use the figure for the size of your household.
- The statewide program is available to residents of all New Jersey counties. You may apply to be on the waiting list in several counties, however you must submit a separate online pre-application for each county. Only one (1) pre-application, per household, per county will be accepted. Duplicate pre-applications will be rejected.
What you will Need to Complete the Pre-Application
- Since this is an online pre-application, you will need access to a computer, laptop, smart phone, or tablet.
- You will need the names, social security numbers, birth dates and income information for all individuals living in the household.
- An email address is required. If you do not have one, the application process will allow you to create one.
How the Lottery Works
The waiting list placement will be based on a computerized selection (lottery) process. Once the waiting list open enrollment period ends, pre-applications will be selected to be placed on the waiting list after sorting preferences. Submission of a pre-application does not guarantee placement on the waiting list, eligibility, or an offer of a Housing Choice Voucher.
Need Help Completing the Pre-Application
The Department of Community Affairs (DCA) will extend reasonable accommodations to disabled individuals on a case-by-case basis and will take into consideration the disability and the need(s) of the individual(s). An individual can call DCA Applicant Service Unit at 609-292-4080, Option 1 or 8, for a reasonable accommodation or dial 2-1-1 or text your zip code to 898-211 for further assistance.
Apply online (the application will only be available from 2.4.19 (9am) - 2.8.19 (5pm)
Income limits and more information (scroll down the page to get to the eligibility chart)
Check the status of your application on or after February 22, 2019. At this site, you will be able to verify if you were selected for the waiting list. If you were selected to the waiting list your status will be Active. If not, it will be Inactive.