For general information & help with basic needs, read our COVID-19 web pages or dial 211. For alerts/updates, text NJCOVID to 898-211. Live help on COVID-19 information is available. Speak to a healthcare professional at 1-800-962-1253.

Filing a Boarding Home Complaint

Rooming/boarding homes and free-standing residential healthcare facilities are found throughout the state. They exist to address the needs of people who are living in the area for a brief period of time (because of short-term employment, for example) as well as those who are unable to live without assistance but do not need medical care.

All of the locations are licensed by the NJ Department of Community Affairs through the Bureau of Rooming and Boarding House Standards and must meet specific social and safety requirements in order to operate under the law. As a prerequisite for license renewal, all are evaluated annually for the physical safety and social well-being of the resident population. Each facility is also monitored by the Board of Social Services in their respective county.

Learn more about the Bureau of Rooming and Boarding House Standards by visiting the DCA website or calling 609.633.6251.

To File a Complaint

If you would like to lodge a non-emergency formal complaint against a rooming/boarding home or free-standing residential healthcare facility in NJ, dial 2-1-1 from anywhere in the state and speak with a trained call specialist who will provide you with the phone number to be used for complaints in your county. You can also search our database at the top of this page using the search term "Nursing Facility Complaints".