Tropical Storm Ida

To learn about recovery resources after the storm, click here


For information about vaccines, transportation, rental assistance & more, read our COVID-19 web pages. For alerts/updates, text NJCOVID to 898-211. Live help on COVID-19 information is available - dial 2-1-1. Reach healthcare pros at 1-800-962-1253.

Recertification of Utility Assistance Benefits

Recertifying for Home Energy Assistance (HEA) and Universal Service Fund (USF) is easier than ever!

If you are already receiving Home Energy Assistance (HEA) and Universal Service Fund (USF) you can now recertify for benefits easier than before for in one of three ways:

  • Recertify via the online DCAaid Screening Tool.  
  • Email a completed recertification form with required documents to at any time.
  • Mail a completed recertification form with all required documents to the agency listed on your recertification letter. 


2021-2022 Income Guidelines

Household Size USF Program LIHEAP Program
1 $4,293 $3,348
2 $5,807 $4,379
3 $7,320 $5,409
4 $8,833 $6,439
5 $10,347 $7,470
6 $11,860 $8,500
7 $13,373 $8,693
8 $14,887 $8,886
9 $16,400 $9,080
10 $17,913 $9,273
11 $19,427 $9,466
12 $20,940 $9,659
For each additional person add $1,513 add $193

Source: DCA 9/28/21

If you are not currently receiving utility assistance benefits and would like to apply or explore other programs, visit our Utility Assistance Programs webpage for applications and income limits.

Have you moved? If you have moved to a new address in the past 12 months, you will need to submit a new application.  Be sure to include all required documents in full. Missing or incomplete documents will delay the review process. 

Required Documents:

  • Proof of Identification (Social security cards for all household members and birth certificates for those under 12 months of age; custody papers for minors not living with parents; documentation for all foster children in the household)
  • Proof of income for every household member who is 18 years of age or older
  • Proof of U.S. Citizenship or Legal Residency Status (provide one of the following: social security card; copy of Medicaid/Medicare card; documentation from the U.S. Department of Citizenship and Immigrations Services; or USCIS Temporary Work Permit)
  • copy of your most recent utility bill
  • copy of your tax bill, mortgage, or rental lease (if you are in public housing, include your Housing Authority proof of residence letter or lease agreement)

Text this page to someone: